|New York Times Magazine redesign
Begin with a frank and comprehensive look at who your readers are. The answer will be the cornerstone of a successful redesign:
- Who are your readers? What else do they read, what do they watch, how do they spend their time?
- Why do they read you? What unique information or perspective do you bring to them?
- How do they read you? Do they read through in one sitting or several short ones? How much time do they spend with the publication?
- Where do they find you? Do they buy you on a newsstand, receive you at home, or find you elsewhere?
Next take a hard look at yourself:
- What are the strengths of the design staff? What are their weaknesses?
- What resources does the staff have to draw on? What are the limitations of time, budget, experience, and training?