Back to Basics
- A minimum three strong stories (high-performance emotions);
- At least one “beautiful” picture that will tell a story in 10 seconds;
- List of what I need to know and I can find in the publication;
- List of what I should know if I have extra five minutes;
- Something that will make me feel good.
The simple architecture of the page.
Good design have a precise grid, with a combination of columns based on a set (usually 5 or 6 columns), out of that number you can generate other combination.
When selecting a number of basic columns you have to watch out for the newspaper format, and size of a type that you use in your design.
Story: Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination (August 29, 2008.).
Left bottom: “Normal”, everyday design of the Clevelander Plain Dealer.
Left: “Out of the box cover.”
Art director after talking to the editor in chef decided to go one step further designing the cover of this newspaper and he did a great job. Beautiful picture tell us a story in 10 seconds, more strongly than any title would have. This is a result of well coordinates work flow and team work (journalist, photographer, editor, editor in chew and art director).