Objectives was to evaluate the effectiveness of using newspapers to build brand values for Domestos Bleach Cleaning Spray, compared with TV.
Hall & Partners’ research measured the target’s relationship with Domestos pre to post the advertising. The main scaled measures included:
Brand commitment: likelihood to purchase Domestos Bleach Spray
Brand salience: standout and dynamism
The results were analysed by those who had been exposed to:
– Newspapers only
–TV + Newspapers
The Findings – The top line
National newspapers drove brand saliency
Newspapers created sales uplifts of 11% for Domestos Bleach Cleaning Spray and 5.3% for the total Domestos brand during the campaign
Newspapers worked harder to promote brand quality perceptions
Brand trust boosted significantly by newspapers
Newspaper ads drove brand values and depth of information
Domestos endorsed the use of newspapers for brand building
“The test helped us to understand much better how newspaper advertising works – and how to use this knowledge to get even better results in the future.”
Cat Crow, Brand Manager, Domestos
Newspapers boost brand salience
Brand salience was high before the campaign broke, and rose a further 6% points following the newspapers and TV campaigns overall.
People exposed to the newspaper ads showed the highest level of saliency: +15% points versus pre-campaign level compared to +10% points for those seeing TV.
Newspapers drive variant AND masterbrand sales
Newspapers delivered an 11% increase in Domestos Bleach Spray sales during the 4-week campaign, and a further 1.9% in the following 12 weeks, according to dunnhumby analysis of anonymised Tesco Clubcard data.
In addition, newspaper advertising also had a halo effect on the total brand. Total Domestos sales increased by at least 5.3% during advertising and 3.5% in the post period.
Newspapers match TV in generating brand commitment
Overall brand commitment rose directionally, by 2% points.
61% of people seeing newspaper ads would consider Domestos Bleach Cleaning Spray when purchasing – an increase of 10% points pre to post.
TV recognisers demonstrated the same pre-post increase.
Newspapers significantly strengthen quality perceptions
Newspapers drove the brand quality measure up by 7% points, and TV by a further 5% points – a total increase of 12% points overall.
Among recogniser samples, the newspaper campaign achieved the highest levels of perceived brand quality.
Newspapers create trust
After the newspaper campaign brand trust increased by 9% points, versus a fall of 2% points after TV.
Among newspaper campaign recognisers, a massive 80% rated Domestos Bleach Cleaning Spray as ‘someone I’d trust completely/put a lot of trust in’; a difference of 27% points from pre-campaign levels. This perhaps reflects the strong allegiance and identification people have with their chosen newspaper.